"Bubba" sightings in the international press and selected blogs.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

NPR : Federal Judge Rules Pledge Unconstitutional

"U.S. District Judge Lawrence Karlton ruled that the pledge's reference to one nation 'under God' violates school children's right to be 'free from a coercive requirement to affirm God.'"

I'm glad to see this item back in the courts -- and once again scared of the outcome.

I would like to see the "under god" pledge ruled illegal. In fact, most folks in Europe wonder what kinda Nazi state is being put into place in the US when they see that the "pledge of allegiance" is a daily requirement in schools. I even can admit that I admire those Jehovah's Witnesses who refuse to do it -- for religious reasons, of course, but not without backlash.

One nation, indivisible, undivided by "coercive requirements to affirm God', that's the country that I know and love.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:54 PM

 
Blogger Bubba Logic said...

Hey Ron,

Like I wrote in my piece about the article in the Victoria (Texas) Advocate, I don't think that requiring children to recite the "pledge" every day in school is the right thing to do in a free, democratic society.

Add to that the part that made me cringe every day that I recited the pledge: "under God".

I'm not an attention-starved atheist, but it still makes me cringe because it goes against my image of America, that of the land of the free, home of the brave and separation of church and state. That separation is bogus when you require every schoolkid in Texas to say "under God" in the morning pledge.

I want America to be strong and true, not phony and fallacious. Living up to our Constitution is just part of being true to ourselves.

10:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home